At Macaulay Honors College, “honors” does not refer only to intellectual depth and academic rigor. Being a Macaulay Scholar also means being part of an ethical community. We build our community at Macaulay, on our home campuses, across campuses, and through the virtual realm. To act with honor, to be an honorable person: these are the core values of Macaulay Honors College.
- I pledge to engage, think, and learn to the very best of my abilities, both in and out of the classroom.
- I will strive to establish an academic environment that allows members of the Honors College community to grow academically and personally in a spirit of cooperation and fellowship.
- I pledge to work to better our neighborhoods, communities, and the world around us.
- I will treat all members of the University community with civility and respect, regardless of national or ethnic origin, religious or social affiliation, heritage, disabilities, sexual orientation, race, gender, or political affiliation.
- I understand that fairness and honest competition are more than just words; they are core values that provide a foundation for our education. Plagiarism, cheating, and other methods of gaining an unfair advantage devalue my own work and the work of my peers.
- In the pursuit of academic excellence, I will steadfastly adhere to the policies— provided by my campus of enrollment—regarding academic honesty. Any work that I submit under my own name for academic evaluation will be original and will properly credit the work of others. Acts of academic dishonesty may result in dismissal from the honors college.
- I pledge to uphold the values of honesty and integrity beyond the classroom, laboratory, studio, or workplace during activities such as study abroad, internships, service, Common events, and in all events sponsored by Macaulay Honors College, the Macaulay Scholars Council and the University. I pledge to uphold the values of honesty and integrity through my participation in the virtual realm, including social networking sites, the blogosphere, websites, and other cyberspaces.
I have read and understand these policies. I will uphold the standards of Macaulay Honors College and adhere to all rules, codes, and policies thereof. Serious violations of any one of these policies will be reviewed by the Macaulay Honors College Judiciary Board and may result in dismissal from Macaulay Honors College.
Please be sure to sign and return the copy of the Pledge that you received during Orientation.