In addition to receiving a tuition scholarship, Macaulay students are eligible to receive $1,500 to support study away or abroad, internship or research work. Students may also apply for competitive enhanced grants ranging from $2500 – $5000. Students may receive either general or enhanced funding, but not both.
This funding comes to us from the generous contributions of private philanthropists and organizations committed to enhancing the Macaulay experience for all of our students.
What Does the Opportunities Fund Grant support?
The Opportunities Fund can support experiences such as:
Study Abroad/Study Away
You may use the Opportunities Fund to complete part of your college program at an approved accredited program in another country or, in certain circumstances, in another part of the United States.
You may use the Opportunities Fund to cover the cost of an approved internship that is unpaid and for which you do not receive academic credit. The program must meet our definition of an internship.
You may use the Opportunities Fund to cover the cost of an approved research experience that is unpaid and for which you do not receive academic credit. The program must meet our definitions of research.
Important Points to Consider
- Extended study abroad may entail substantial costs. Depending on the activity, you may need to apply for supplemental funding sources for certain activities, such as long-term study abroad.
- Consider your academic goals carefully before you apply to access the Opportunities Fund. Speak with your Macaulay Advisor before you submit an application. Your Advisor will assist you in choosing your activities and writing a successful grant proposal.
- You may apply to access the Opportunities Fund only during designated Access Periods.
- You cannot access the Opportunities Fund after their eighth semester.
- Opportunities Funds may only be used for items or activities as approved by the Opportunities Fund Committee. If you anticipate a change in the purpose of approved funds, you must contact your Macaulay Advisor and the Office of Scholarships and Grants (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately. Any funds used for items or activities not approved by the Committee must be returned, and you will be responsible for costs incurred.
For more information on the Opportunities Fund policies and procedures, visit our Opportunities Fund web page at: https://macaulay.cuny.edu/opportunities/opportunities-fund/.